Community Engagement Program
“Art Camp for under 22, Vol. 6 IN/BETWEEN: Connecting Museums” (4-Times Program)
Conducted in Japanese
Over the years, Mori Building Company and the Mori Art Museum have collaborated with artists from across the globe to run a variety of programs at the Museum and out on the streets. Summer 2018 saw the launch of a new “Art Camp” program targeting younger art-lovers aged 15 to 22; giving them the opportunity to discuss “contemporary art” with artists and curators in a different environment from the usual school format of “teacher” and “taught,” employing the Museum and entire Roppongi Hills neighborhood as a canvas. Talking with others encourages participants to think about current happenings at home or school, historical events, social, political and cultural developments in the wider world, and the connection of all these with contemporary art, helping them to explore interesting and enjoyable aspects of contemporary art.
In this program, the Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art in Oguni, Kumamoto Prefecture, and the Mori Art Museum will connect online. Leading efforts to make that link will be young people recruited by each museum, who will meet curators from the museums and artists online to get a close-up look at art in practice, and discuss in their own words just what exactly constitutes art. A wonderful opportunity to make online connections with youth in a different part of Japan, through art.
Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art Official Website: here
- From 13 to 22 years old
- Booking Period
- Friday, April 30 - 24:00, Wednesday, May 19, 2021
- Results of the Lottery
- Results of the lottery will be sent to each person via e-mail by Thursday, May 20, 2021.
* Note that this workshop will be held 4-times in total.
#1 Meet the Museums: What Is Contemporary Art?
Appearing: Shiraki Eise (Associate Curator of Learning, Mori Art Museum)
Date & Time: 16:30-18:30, Thursday, May 27, 2021
#2 Meet the Museums: Meet the Curator of the Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art
Appearing: Yamashita Hiroko (Curator, Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art)
Date & Time: 16:30-18:30, Thursday, June 10, 2021
#3 Meet the People of Oguni together with the Artists
Appearing: Okayama Naoyuki (Artist), Namstrops (Contemporary dance company), Sakazaki Ryuichi (Artist), People who lives near Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art
Date & Time: Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Time TBD)
#4 Meet the Curator of the Another Energy Exhibition
Appearing: Tokuyama Hirokazu (Associate Curator, Mori Art Museum)
Date & Time: 16:30-18:30, Tuesday, July 27, 2021
・ Children of junior high school age (i.e., 13-15) and above do not need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian, but they should have someone around for assistance if they are not familiar with how to use “Zoom.”
・ For this program, we will be using “Zoom,” a web-based video conferencing system. To attend this event, please have your computer or tablet ready with the “Zoom” app installed beforehand.
・ Zoom ID provided to join in this workshop is for the participant only. Do not share with the other persons.
・ Review the instructions on the Zoom Video Communications, Inc.’s website provided below and test the connection. Please check whether you can hear the sound in advance.
・ See this information for how to use “Zoom.”
Our Requests (to Participants):
- Please leave your device’s camera on whenever possible while attending this program, as this makes it easier for everyone to see their reactions mutually, making the program flow more smoothly.
- For protection of your privacy, we’d urge you NOT to use your real name or your full name as your “Zoom” username. Change your username to your first name only, or use a nickname or some other name. You will be able to change your username while attending the program.
- Note that we will be recording video and images of this video conferencing during the Workshop program; and these contents may be reposted on the official websites of Mori Building Co., Ltd. and/or Mori Art Museum and/or Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art, our social media channels or any other promotional/publicity media, among other places. If you do not wish to be included in these video or photo contents, please turn your device’s camera off.
- Please refrain from taking audio/video recordings or photos of the session contents, including those of the participants, unless you are given permission to do so during the session.
- Participants who exhibit unruly behaviors may be asked to leave the session.
Photo Courtesy: Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art
- Mori Building Co., Ltd., Mori Art Museum; Sakamoto Zenzo Museum of Art
Notes on Bookings
- Please note that speakers are subject to change without prior notice.
- Please note that a reply E-mail will be sent to you after submitting the form. If you do not receive the reply E-mail, please contact us.
- For bookings, one E-mail address is required per group.
Notes on Personal Information
- Booking forms use SSL encryption to protect your private information.
- Registrants will receive “MAM NEWS (Mori Art Museum Mail Magazines)” that deliver the latest news and information about the Mori Art Museum.