Music Workshop Series EYES & EARS Vol. 3 “Memento MORI - Symbols in Art and Sound” Presented by Mori Art Museum × Japan Philharmonic Orchestra
* Booked Out
Japanese-English consecutive interpretation available
In the face of catastrophe, what have people entrusted to and expressed through the “power” of art and music? As a key to discovering, in this workshop we focus on memento mori, a Latin phrase meaning “remember death” and subject of Renaissance art. The motifs depicted were meant to remind us of our mortality, thus warning us live our lives now to the fullest. In music too, melodies have been used similarly to symbolize views of life and death. By homing in on symbols that sometimes appear in art and music, we address the theme of the “Catastrophe and the Power of Art” exhibition through a mix of viewing artworks, discussion and performance. Launched in 2016, this series of sensory workshops traverses the two different realms; art and music.
- Booking Period
- 2018.10.25 [Thu] - 11.7 [Wed]
- Result of the lottery will be sent to each person by E-mail during the following day
- 2018.11.9 [Fri]
- Date & Time
- 18:30-21:00, 2018.11.13 [Tue] (Door open 18:10)
* Mori Art Museum will close at 17:00 and reopen at 18:10 for those with bookings only.
- Michael Spencer (Communication Director, Japan Philharmonic Orchestra), Japan Philharmonic Orchestra Facilitators
- Highschool students and older
- Mori Art Museum, Japan Philharmonic Orchestra
* This program will run in association with the 378th Popular Concert performance by the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra (November 18, 2018 at Suntory Hall). 10% discounted tickets available to workshop participants (further information will be provided on the day of the workshop).
Details: here (in Japanese-language only)
View a report on EYES & EARS Vol. 2 (2018) held in conjunction with “Leandro Erlich: Seeing and Believing” (in Japanese-language only) here
View Michael Spencer’s special interview about the Workshop EYES & EARS Vol.1 (2016) on Japan Philharmonic Orchestra official YouTube
Notes on Bookings
- Please note that speakers are subject to change without prior notice.
- Please note that a reply E-mail will be sent to you after submitting the form. If you do not receive the reply E-mail, please contact us.
- For bookings, one E-mail address is required per person. Please use different E-mail address for different booking.
- All prices include tax.
Notes on Personal Information
- Booking forms use SSL encryption to protect your private information.
- Registrants will receive “MAM NEWS (Mori Art Museum Mail Magazines)” that deliver the latest news and information about the Mori Art Museum.