Urgent Talk 008:
Star City Film Screening and Performance
"Urgent Talk 008" features a film screening program Star City which revisits how the future was experienced and imagined under communism during the Cold War. It focuses on the works of many leading European artists of the post-communist generation. Their films relate to the Soviet space program and Central European communist popular culture, blurring the distinction between historical residue and artistic invention. There will also be a performance by a Polish artist Paweł Althamer.
- Date & Time
- 19:00-21:30, November 15 [Tue], 2011 (Doors Open: 18:30-20:00)
- Introduction by
- Łukasz Ronduda (Curator, Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw)
- Paweł Althamer (Artist)
- Kondo Kenichi (Associate Curator, Mori Art Museum)
- Star City includes films by
- Paweł Althamer, Robert Kuśmirowski, Deimantas Narkevičius, The Otolith Group, Krzysztof Wodiczko, David Maljkovic, Christian Tomaszewski, Joanna Malinowska
- Łukasz Ronduda
- Writer, Curator at the Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw. Author of the book: Polish Art of the 70s (Warsaw 2009). Editor of publications, among others: KwieKulik (with Georg Scholhammer, Warsaw 2011), 1,2,3... Avatgarde. Film/Art between Experiment and the Archive (with Florian Zeyfang, Berlin, 2007), Star City Future under Communism (with A. Farquharson, 2011). Curator of the recent exhibitions including: “Black and White” (with Galit Eilat, Moma Warsaw, 2011), “Zbigniew Libera's Open Form Studio” (Tranzitdisplay, 2011), “Warpechowski, Konieczny, Uklański, Bodzianowski, Dawicki” (Museum of Art, Łódź, 2011), “Operator's Exercise. Open Form Film and Architecture” (Arthur Ross Architectural Gallery, Columbia University, New York, 2010), “Star City, Future under Communism” (with A. Farquharson, Nottingham Contemporary, 2010)
- Paweł Althamer
- Born 1967 in Warsaw. Sculptor, performer, installation and video artist. He studied at the Faculty of Sculpture of the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw and was awarded The Vincent Award. He is author of numerous self-portraits, Paweł Althamer (1993), Balloon (2007). In the film The So-Called Waves and Other Phenomena of the Mind (2003-2004), co-produced with Artur Żmijewski, Althamer documented the experience of non-rational cognition. Other projects include, Bródno 2000 and Sculpture Park. Lives and works in Warsaw.
- * This “Urgent Talk 008: Star City Film Screening and Performance” is part of the program entitled “Museum under Construction. Tokyo-Warsaw” comprising a symposium and a film screening organized by the Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, co-organized by the National Art Center, Tokyo and Mori Art Museum. “Museum under Construction. Tokyo-Warsaw” is centered round contemporary institutional critique and the dynamics of attraction/conflict between the artist and the museum. The symposium will be held on November 14 [Mon] at the National Art Center, Tokyo.