Mori Art Museum x University of Oxford
“Art in a Time of Catastrophe: What Are Artists and Art Organizations Doing?”
Japanese-English simultaneous interpretation available
Featuring a wide ranging line-up of guest speakers, this symposium will consider art’s potential in confronting the issues arising from catastrophic situations. Following an opening keynote presentation by Anthony Gardner from University of Oxford, a panel of researchers and artists will reflect on the “power of art” for people in crisis situation. The following, second panel will focus on the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and examine the actions and responses of cultural institutions including art museums, as well as subsequent changes in the art world.
- Date & Time
- 11:00-17:00, Saturday, December 15, 2018 (Doors open: 10:30)
- Anthony Gardner (Head of School at the Ruskin School of Art, University of Oxford), Sheba Chhachhi (Artist), Yoneda Tomoko (Artist), Kuraya Mika (Chief Curator, Department of Programs Development, The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo), Takada Aya (Director, birdo flugas), Takehisa Yuu (Senior Curator, Contemporary Art Center, Art Tower Mito), Emilia Terracciano (Postdoctoral Fellow, Ruskin School of Art, University of Oxford), Jason Waite (Doctoral Candidate, Ruskin School of Art, University of Oxford) among others
- Kondo Kenichi (Curator, Mori Art Museum)
- Learning Project Committee
- Arts Council Tokyo, The Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, Mondriaan Fund
Notes on Bookings
- Please note that speakers are subject to change without prior notice.
- Please note that a reply E-mail will be sent to you after submitting the form. If you do not receive the reply E-mail, please contact us.
- For bookings, one E-mail address is required per person. Please use different E-mail address for different booking.
- All prices include tax.
Notes on Personal Information
- Booking forms use SSL encryption to protect your private information.
- Registrants will receive “MAM NEWS (Mori Art Museum Mail Magazines)” that deliver the latest news and information about the Mori Art Museum.